Monday, July 28, 2014

The Adventure Comes to a Close

I overslept Friday morning and found myself scurrying around and praying that I’d have enough time to get dressed, run to Bonington, trim my artwork, pin it up, print off a final copy of my story, and figure out how to display it before meeting my friend Chris at the bus station.  The fact that I had already packed all my clothes except for one dress really expedited the outfit selection process, so I actually did manage to get to Bonington within a reasonable amount of time.  Gavin had brought in a cool leather cover thingy for sort of framing my story, plus he had found a sort of lectern to stand under the artwork so the words and the art wouldn’t have to vie for space on the same wall.

My final project
After enlisting Megan, McKenzie, and Gavin to help pin up the panorama and asking Gavin to pretty please print off the last copy of my story (in my defense, his staff card was what gave us access to the printing lab at all), I dashed off to find Broadmarsh Bus Station.  Although I was successful in meeting up with Chris, the walk made me a little sad because I realized there were still whole districts of Nottingham I hadn’t yet explored – and I had run out of time to do so.

Chris’s classes had already ended, so he had decided to come up to Nottingham for a day trip.  It was fun getting to be the tour guide, and it helped me realize just how much I had absorbed in my weeks here.  I took him to the castle for the obligatory picture with the Robin Hood statue, then down to Ye Olde Trip to Jerusalem for lunch.  We caught up on our favorite experiences of the summer and reminisced about Bellarmine before I pointed out the caves in Castle Rock and told him the story of Mortimer’s Hole.  From there, because I knew he’d appreciate it, I showed him the plaque marking where Charles I started the English Civil War.  He enjoyed all these sites, but noted that he was disappointed in the lack of singing animals in medieval clothing (sadly, life is not a Disney film).

Since my exhibition was starting soon, we meandered toward Market Square, where I pointed out the Council House above the hubbub of the “beach” and introduced him to Oscar and Leo, the Right and Left Lions.  From there I showed him the NTU campus (upon seeing Arkwright, he said, “So you go to school in a castle”) and led him through the twists and turns of the labyrinth that is Bonington to the exhibition space.

Everyone else’s pieces had turned out really well.  Megan did album covers inspired by our outings; McKenzie wrote a story and created an accompanying tree out of pictures she had taken throughout the program; Marissa wrote poems; Katie designed coats of arms; Ali reimagined the Nottingham coat of arms incorporating things like Phantom of the Opera; Abigail created a display depicting the battle of experiencing a place while looking for gluten free food; and Carson wrote several epistolary and almost prose poem pieces which he displayed across a wall.  All in all, I was thoroughly impressed with our group’s efforts.

Several of our tutors showed up, along with Allie and Lauren and Steve, who brought scones and champagne for everyone to share.  Everyone mingled and complimented each other’s art and tried not to think about how it was almost over.  As Marissa would later point out on Facebook, when we gathered for a group photo, our cuddliness was a far cry from the not-sure-how-to-get-into-formation people in our first picture on our first day.  There’s something about exploring a strange country with complete strangers that bonds you.  And yet, despite the bond that had formed, we would probably never be in Nottingham together again.

After an evaluation of the Fulbright program (likes, dislikes, goals completed, goals turned to dust, surprises, etc.) with Valerie, we dragged ourselves back to the flat to finish packing, still trying not to talk about how this whole thing was nearly at its end.  We still had dinner with Steve, Allie, Lauren, and Gavin, after all, and probably some pubs after that.  We had whole hours left.  It wasn’t over.

I personally found myself reaching my limit by the time we left the Rescue Rooms, the first bar we visited after dinner.  Hugging our guides goodbye, I headed back to the flat one last time to cram my dress into my suitcase and quadruple check my flight itinerary for the next day.  Eventually I just tried to get some sleep, even though the endless checklist of Travel Stuff kept racing through my head.  The cabs would come at 4:15 a.m., at which point it would truly be the end.


In the quiet stages of tiredness, we were much more willing to discuss our sadness at the end of the Fulbright program as the taxis zipped through the darkened, empty streets.  The surreal atmosphere of the world that early in the morning, I supposed, complemented the surreal feeling of our time in Nottingham having sped by and gone slowly all at once.  So we said our goodbyes to this English city that had come to feel something like home, and off we went into the darkness.

No comments:

Post a Comment